A cough is a reflex action to clear your airways of mucus and irritants such as dust or smoke. It’s rarely a sign of anything serious.
A “dry cough” means it’s tickly and doesn’t produce any phlegm (thick mucus). A “chesty cough” means phlegm is produced to help clear your airways.
Most coughs clear up within three weeks and don’t require any treatment.
Some things you can try to help ease your cough are:
- Drink lots of water (6-8 glasses a day)
- Drink honey and lemon ( Lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey in hot water)
- Suck lozenges or hard boiled sweets
- Stop smoking
- Try an over-the-counter cough mixture
- Take Paracetamol to help relieve symptoms